Traditional cutting techniques include flame cutting, plasma cutting, waterjet cutting and wire cutting and punching, etc. As a new process in recent years, the low cost laser cutter irradiates a laser beam with a high energy density onto the workpiece to be processed, so that the local heat is melted, and then the high-pressure gas is used to blow the slag to form a slit.
Laser cutting has the following advantages:
1. The slit is narrow, the precision is high, the kerf roughness is good, and the subsequent process is not required after the cutting.
2. The laser processing system itself is a computer system that can be easily arranged and modified to suit individual processing, especially for sheet metal parts with complex contours. Lots of lots but not large batches, product life cycle is not long. From the perspective of technology, economic cost and time, it is not cost-effective to manufacture molds, and low cost laser cutters are particularly advantageous.
3. The laser processing has high energy density, short action time, small heat affected zone, small thermal deformation, small thermal stress, and laser non-mechanical contact processing, which has no mechanical stress on the workpiece and is suitable for precision machining.
4. The high energy density of the laser is sufficient to melt any metal, and is particularly suitable for processing materials that are difficult to process by other processes with high hardness, high brittleness, and high melting point.
5. Low processing cost. The one-time investment in equipment is more expensive, but continuous, large-scale processing ultimately reduces the processing cost of each part.
6. The laser is non-contact processing, with low inertia and fast processing speed. It is compatible with the CAD/CAM software programming of the CNC system, which saves time and convenience and has high overall efficiency.
7. The laser has a high degree of automation and can be completely enclosed, with no pollution and low noise, which greatly improves the working environment of the operator.